Pages

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Business Trip

I recently went on a business trip to Anchorage. While that might not sound exciting, I had a great trip, and managed to work in a few trail runs. It was even autumn there, a season we do not really get to enjoy where we live.

After the first day of work, I headed out to find a trail. I choose Kincaid Park and the southern end of the coastal trail for my first evening run. It was beautiful out and the sun was setting over the inlet as I ran along the shore and though the autumn colored aspen trees. I should mention, I love trees. You never realize how important they are until you live somewhere they can't grow. Anyway, It was a great first run for the trip, not exciting, other than seeing trees (and trying to climb one) but pleasant.


Several days later I headed out to Centennial Park (Anchorage has wonderful parks, by the way.) By the time I arrived, it was already towards evening. I set out running into the sunset, the sun shining through the trees like something out of a painting. Did I mention I like trees? I took a few pictures as I continued to run and found myself on a rather muddy trail. At this point I considered turning back to a more solid path, but decided to just see what happened (as always.) The trail continued to deteriorate into a marshy mess full of tree roots. I even stepped into a mud hole that sucked my Vibram clean (or not so clean) off. After digging out my shoe I continued on. The trail mostly disappeared until I came upon a bridge in the woods, a sure sign I was still on some sort of path... probably. Finally, I made it back to solid ground, albeit root covered, as the twilight began to fade. By the time I made it back I was exhausted... and smelled of mud. Another good run.

I only managed one more run during the trip. After the rainy weekend passed, I headed back out to Centennial park determined to avoid the marsh. I got an earlier start and went in the opposite direction and soon found myself on a trail leading back toward the swamp. After a quick change in direction I found myself on a trail I hadn't seen before. It was a beautiful evening. The sky was clear, the sun was warm in the sky... there were trees (seriously... I miss trees.) I dodged puddles and jumped over streams for at least an hour before I decided it was time to head back. I stopped and looked at the map on a sign post (Anchorage has a great trail maps.) Unfortunately, the arrows pointed into the woods instead of down a trail. I quickly chose a trail and continued on. A while later I came to the next sign post and realized I was not where I thought I would be. I stared at the map once again before heading off down a different trail (unwilling to turn around.) After four or five tries I finally was headed in the right direction, but much further from my car than I had intended. The sun was starting to set and I was getting pretty tired. I was ready to be done. The sun was still glowing on the tree tops as I crossed the stream running through the forest. I hadn't intended to run for two hours, but that's how it goes. The sun was setting on another run as I made it back to my car. My shin was bruised from tripping on a tree root in the last few miles, but I didn't care. It was a wonderful run, and I felt great.

I think I'll go run....

Does anyone else love business trips? Am I crazy for loving trees? I haven't done much writing. Please, let me know what you think.

4 comments:

  1. I love trees so much. I love water, I love being in nature. you aren't weird. I don't go on business trips but if I did I'd love them too! go run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, running in the forest is a good thing. A business trip with time to run when it is still light out is a really good thing. Glad you had a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, looks a like a peaceful place to run! What about bears?

    ReplyDelete