Pages

Friday, September 14, 2012

Jumping Back in with Both Feet

Where to begin...

First a quick update as to my whereabouts for the last few months.


I had quite a summer.  I went on a road trip to the Grand Canyon and finished my pilot training.  However, I put off my fastpacking plans.  I did a lot of running (mostly short hour-long runs,) but never got to the point I felt like I could run for multiple hours in heat over 100 degrees.

The summer was over far to quickly.  After a short visit with Ed in Seattle (which was awesome,) I made my way back to the island, and have been busy ever since.

I was briefly delayed when my flight was canceled due to weather, and spent an extra night in Anchorage.  I put the time in Anchorage to good use at the Glacier Brewhouse (where I was sad to learn the barleywine is not yet ready for the season.)  I woke up at 0430 the next morning, went to the airport and sat around on standby most of the day.  After another cancelled flight and more delays (and two fuel stops) I made home without too much trouble.

Since then I have been easing my way back into cool weather running.  I did a run up Strawberry Hill, and dozen or so up Bunker Hill.  Actually, now that I think about it that sounds rather excessive for someone with an injured foot.  The plantar fascia in my left foot started bothering me this summer.  I should be taking it easy, but I really wanted to run up Ballyhoo Mountain (more on this later,) and Bunker Hill is my training ground.

Speaking of injured feet, something else happened the other day.  I nailed it.  That is to say I stepped on a board with a rusty nail sticking straight up.  It went straight though my shoe and up into the arch of my right foot (yeah that makes two injured feet.)  It hasn't really slowed me down though.  I went for a run a couple hours afterwards.

Then there was Ballyhoo....

(To be continued next time... if I can figure out what to do with the videos....)

7 comments:

  1. Ballyhoo! Sheesh man I have been slacking...cant wait to read about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ballyhoo!

      Yeah I got some good video too, but don't know what to do with it.

      Delete
  2. Man. That nail in the foot sounds awful!

    But your summer looks beautiful!

    Sarah
    www.thinfluenced.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous picture, but the nail incident? Ouch! Not fun :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to the Glacier Brewhouse when we were in Anchorage - loved it. Good luck with that tetanus shot for the foot, I had to get one for my hand and it might have hurt more than the injury!

    ReplyDelete